It’s been over 2 months of consistent blogging, and just over 2 weeks since I’ve gone public. I’ve realized there are things I need to change, things I need to focus on, and things I could be doing better. I get around 60 visitors per week which is alright considering I’ve just begun, but no where near where I want to be. By the end of 2017 I hope to be averaging 1,000 a week. I believe that’s an obtainable goal.
- New rating system. 0-100% for critics score, and a 0.0 – 5.0 popcorns for entertainment value. I’ve done this because the entertainment score shouldn’t be taken too seriously. It’s a matter of taste and opinion whereas the critic rating is based on tangible things.
- I’m realizing what this blog is becoming and what it should be. I try to make people laugh, or at the very least smile when they read my stuff. Not every blog will do that, but every blog should contain something interesting.
- I can’t just write about movie and tv show reviews, it’s not logical. It takes a lot of time to put together a good blog, but even more when I add 2 hours to watch a movie. This is why I rely on daily news or random thoughts but staying within the movie/tv area. Going forward I think it’s fair to say it will be a 50/50 balance of reviews and news.
- Oscars are coming up in less than 2 weeks. I’ve seen 7 of the 9 nominated best pictures, so I’m well on my way to being prepared. I’m looking forward to posting an Oscar preview mega-blog with all my picks, and live tweeting the entire night.
- My twitter strategy has changed. I’ve decided to make my personal account @_Sheehan_ the main handle for me, and leave the @Random_Crits handle for posting blogs and retweeting my better stuff. The idea behind this is to represent myself as a real person with interests outside of movie and tv, which is who I am. Also in case anyone joins Random Crits the structure is in place for them to continue using their own handle instead of starting from scratch.
- Catagories have been a disaster. I need to figure out how to fix the ones I have because the nested ones overlap and it’s just a stupid mess. This means going back and re-categorizing old blogs which doesn’t excite me. I didn’t put much foresight into that at the beginning. I’ll be better going forward probably. No promises.
- I’ve decided to add a new category, unrelated to the category mess I just mentioned, and I’m calling this The Greats. This is a hall of fame or sorts, but without voting or any legitimate process for selection because it’s decided on by my brain. There is no specific time for when these will be added, but I have a few in mind that will go in right away.